Friday, August 24, 2012

Culinary Creations: Aloha BBQ Chicken

Once in a while I'll invite my boyfriend, Joe, over to my place after work for a homemade dinner. I pretend am pretty sure that he enjoys this part, because I try to spice things up and come up with meals he wouldn't normally attempt at his place.

Last week I struck some luck and created a recipe that was a sure winner in both his and my book. I had been craving fruit all day and wanted to incorporate it into my dinner plans. Now, while I would be perfectly fine with a bowl of fruit for dinner, I don't think Joe wouldn't fancy it too much after a long day's work. I love the mixture of tangy and spicy flavors, so I decided to pull out some seasonings to create my 5-step masterpiece:

Sarah's Aloha BBQ Chicken


Ingredients (makes for two servings):
  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Can of Pineapple Rings
  • Juice from Can of Pineapple Rings
  • BBQ Sauce (I used Kraft Hickory Smoke BBQ)
  • BBQ Rub (I used Weber "Smokey Mesquite" Rub)
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Oven-safe Dish

Directions:


1) After thawing and cutting off excess fat from your chicken breasts, apply your choice of BBQ rub liberally to your chicken, rubbing the spices in with your fingers. Place both pieces into an oven-safe dish (I used corning ware) and set aside. At this time, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.

2) Open the can of sliced pineapple rings and empty the juice contents into a mixing bowl. Set aside the can and pineapple rings for later. Then, gradually mix in your BBQ sauce of choice until your mixture has a somewhat-thick consistency. You don't want your mixture to be too soup-like (as a reference, I used half the bottle of BBQ sauce in order to achieve my desired consistency).


3) Cover the chicken breasts with the mixture you have just made, saving 1/4 cup of the mixture for later use. Cover the remaining sauce and place in your fridge. Then, slice the pineapple rings in half and place them over the chicken and the mixture. 

4) Cover your oven-safe dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the pre-heated oven for one hour. Then, remove the aluminum foil, pour the remaining mixture over the pineapple rings, and cook uncovered for 15 more minutes. This will allow for the pineapples to caramelize and retain the savory flavors of the sauce.

 

5) Allow 10 minutes cooling time to give the chicken a chance to reabsorb its juices. Then, serve with corn-on-the-cob, baked beans, or your BBQ side dishes of choice. Bon Appetit! 

Mahalo for checking out this recipe, let me know if you try it, and how you liked it! As always, I'd love to see pictures :-) ALSO, if you liked this enough to want to try it later, PLEASE pin it! ;-)


PS: I tried this same recipe out on my family. They all LOVED it! I used 8 chicken breasts (quadrupling the rest of the ingredients), and all but one-half  of a chicken breast were gobbled up by the end of the party :-) I know YOUR family will love it to! It's the perfect main dish for a luau/Hawaiian theme party.




Linked-Up to:



11 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Its always great to hear from a fellow Texan. Your Aloha Baked BBQ Chicken looks delicious, we would just love it. Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miz Helen!

      Thank you so much for the compliments, I appreciate it! Let me know how you like this recipe if you ever get the chance to try it! :-)

      Delete
  2. You're a way better cook than me! That looks so good! I love corn on the kob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aw thanks, girl! It just takes a LOT of practice. I'm still learning something new to tweak my cooking techniques every day! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Haha thank you! :-) Thanks for stopping by my page!

      Delete
  4. Woooow, this looks delicious! I've tried a similar recipe with teriyaki instead - so good! Must be that awesome pineapple/chicken combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm I haven't tried using teriyaki yet... that will have to be in my next recipe! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  5. It's going in the oven in a few. I used Chicken Tenderloins instead, and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Its going to be GREAT, I just have a feeling!!!! MMMM, served with Corn on the Cob.....Thanks Sarah.
    Momma Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just waiting for the oven to heat up, before I cook the Mahalo Chicken. I used Chicken Tenderloins and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, can't wait to sink my teeth into this chicken recipe. MMMM, it's gonna be GREAT!! Thanks Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying it out, Momma Mac! I appreciate it :-)

      Delete

Hey y'all! I see ya there; thinkin' of leavin' a comment, aren't ya?! Well I'd sure love to get some feedback from y'all, so get to blabbin'! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...